Sunday’s game between the Philadelphia Eagles and the Dallas Cowboys could end up deciding who wins the NFC East this season and who gets to host a playoff game. Both teams would have liked to have their full roster of players healthy enough to play, but both teams are dealing with a handful of injuries.
The Eagles will be without two players, and have three players considered questionable:
#PHIvsDAL Status Report
Out: LB Hicks (calf), CB Mills (foot)
Questionable: DE Bennett (foot), DT Jernigan (back), CB Maddox (ankle, knee)
— Philadelphia Eagles (@Eagles) December 7, 2018
- Hicks being out means Nate Gerry will be playing a lot of snaps again. Two weeks ago against the Giants he struggled, but he had an important interception last week against the Redskins (albeit against Mark Sanchez). Hopefully that will bring him some momentum against Dak Prescott
- Mills’ foot is slowly healing, meaning that the Eagles starters this week will once again be Sidney Jones and Rasul Douglas.
- Bennett was questionable last week with a foot injury too and ended up playing. Unless there’s a serious setback during warmups, he should be good to go.
- Jernigan had back spasms which kept him out against the Redskins. The Eagles really need him to be healthy enough to play this weekend to cause as much havoc on Prescott as possible
- If Maddox ends up being active and healthy enough to play a lot of snaps, he should end up being the slot Cornerback. If he doesn’t end up playing, Cre’Von LeBlanc will most likely be the man in the slot.
The Cowboys aren’t a healthy bunch either, as they announced they will have four players out for the game, and two players are questionable:
- LB Sean Lee (hamstring): Leighton Vander Esch and Jaylon Smith have been playing out of their minds of late, so Lee being out doesn’t matter much in this game.
- DT David Irving (ankle): The Cowboys defense has been dominant even without him, so the Eagles aren’t really catching much of a break with him out.
- WR Tavon Austin (groin): It’s good for the Eagles and their slow secondary that a speedster like Austin will be out for the game.
- TE Geoff Swaim (wrist): Swaim will miss his 3rd straight game. He only has 26 catches this season so he wouldn’t have been a big factor in the game.
- LT Tyron Smith (neck): he won’t be at 100% if he goes, but the Cowboys seem to be expecting him to play Sunday.
- WR Michael Gallup (illness): unless the illness lingers, Gallup will likely be active for the game.